Secret World's work has never been more vital.
We are the West Country's only 24-hour wildlife rescue service and a key source of wildlife education for the public. At a time when more and more of Britain's wildlife is becoming endangered and when even children are losing touch with nature Secret World has launched the Call of the Wild Appeal.
So please act now to help save our precious wildlife before it is too late.
Calling all those who care about nature and wildlife...
Whether an individual or an organisation, if you care about wildlife and the environment this is your chance to get involved. We urgently need your help to create a Wildlife Teaching Hospital and a Wildlife Education Centre.
Every year Secret World is called upon to help more animals and over the next 5 years numbers can be expected to double. These animals are sick, injured or orphaned and desperately need our help. Yet we don't have the space to respond to this rising need and when an animal needs surgery or an x-ray we are forced to transport them to a nearby vet because we don't have the facilities or vet to carry out all treatment on one site.
What your donation can buy:
- £50 Blender to prepare feeds
- £200 Theatre equipment
- £625 Stethoscope
- £1,500 Operating table
- £3,525 Recovery area for birds of prey
- £5,000 Pens for the Bird Room
- £10,000 Building a deer pen for injured and orphaned deer
- £15,000 A mammal casualty/rehabilitation pen
- £20,000 16 bat boxes for the Bat House
- £40,000 Building & fitting the x-ray unit
With your help we can build a new Wildlife Hospital with:
- Intensive care recovery pens and rehabilitation enclosures to treat twice as many animals and birds
- An operating theatre, x-ray unit and preparation and treatment rooms so we can employ our own vet and treat all animals on one site for more instant relief of suffering
- Space and facilities to train three times as many professionals working with wildlife, including vets who currently receive virtually no wildlife training as part of their degree course.
A wildlife and Heritage Education Centre- the region's only guaranteed chance for children to see and learn about British wildlife close up
Today's child spends just 9% of their time outdoors. Nature is often seen as irrelevant, even frightening. What hope is there for the conservation of wildlife if this continues? Yet once children experience the wonder of wildlife close up all that changes. Lifelong concern and action can be bred.
With your help we can:
- Build a new Wildlife Education Centre in the heart of Secret World. This will be the first time children will be able to visit to see for example badgers, foxes, deer, hedgehogs, birds of prey close up,
- Employ an Education Officer to run programmes for school visits to Secret World and visits to their schools to share learning about wildlife and - because Secret World was once a dairy farm dating back to the 17the century - share learning about the heritage of Somerset Levels farming
- Share valuable skills and support schools to run conservation projects to make a lasting difference to wildlife.
What your donation can buy:
- £15 Inspiration for another child
- £50 Animal information board
- £100 Bird box with hidden camera to loan to schools
- £300 Digital Display panel to view wildlife through hidden cameras
- £1,000 Wildlife Education Packs for ten schools
- £5,000 A ‘Wild’ experience for 3 more schools
- £20,000 Helps fund an Education Officer and Assistant
- £40,000 Build costs of the Activities Room or towards the cost of building a shop on site
Head Teacher of local school
How you can help
Help us to reach our £4.4m target to build the new hospital and education centre and to keep the current 24 hour rescue service and public education programmes running for the next 2 years. You can:
- Donate today
- Choose from one of our fun fundraising initiatives - from wild walks to blissful bike rides and nutty challenges either as an individual or through your company. Find out more or contact us arrange a chat
- Cook up your own fundraising idea or contact us for support
- Become a corporate sponsor. Select from our exciting range of sponsorship packages
- Find out about how your company can support through payroll giving
- Join a company volunteer work day at Secret World..contact us for further information.
Last year Secret World rescued 4,600 animals and birds. Secret World rescues, treats, rehabilitates and releases these animals back to the wild and every year the numbers are rising.
It's time to help British wildlife
We can no longer take British wildlife for granted. Over 1 in 4 of all British native species is now officially endangered . That includes a third of our mammals, a hundred percent of our reptiles and a fifth of our best known birds. Loss of habitat is the number one cause - i.e. changes in land management, pollution, spreading towns and increased traffic.
Today it is estimated that there are 1.1m and much of the decline has come in the past 10 years Some experts predict that unless we act they will be extinct in 10 years.[Source: 2011 State of Britain's Mammals study, produced by Oxford University experts for the People's Trust for Endangered Species]
Simon King, OBE, Naturalist, author and broadcaster.